Saturday, March 22, 2008

Fog in the 'Glades


We woke to the silence of fog embracing the Everglades and headed out early toward Anhinga Trail, but when we reached the pines were were enthralled with how the fog moved through them and gave a feeling of mystery and depth.






As we drove through the pines I looked back over my shoulder to see the sun coming up through the pines. "STOP!" I yelled. Clyde, who is accustomed to my shouts of photographic opportunities, carefully pulled over to the side of the road and looked at the scene. I said, "If we move fast, I think we can get it." We jumped out of the car and put together his 5x7 view camera in record time! I was so busy helping him to capture the scene before it disappeared that I didn't get the shot myself...tsk...but I can't wait to see his shot because it certainly was a beautiful scene. This shot is as close as I came to capturing it...and it doesn't do the scene justice.

As Clyde took the opportunity of the sun streaming through the fog I looked down and noticed the flowers covered in dew...so very delicate and beautiful...

The beauty of this morning reminded me of my favorite poet, Mary Oliver. In her book, Why I Wake Early, is a poem I love to read when I wake up to a difficult day because it lifts me to the wonder of life:




Why I Wake Early

Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who make the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety --

best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light --
good morning, good morning, good morning.

Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.

No comments: